latest flashplugin and panic with Nvidia

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Tue Feb 22 21:28:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:11:56PM -0600, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:19:53 -0600, Sergiy Suprun
> <sergiy.suprun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I also use latest linux flash player and latest (260.19.36) nvidia
> > drivers on 8-stable amd64
> > and have one lockup but can't reproduce this again.
> > flash works mainly fine.
>
> OK good that removes my suspicion that it's related to a newer driver than
> what's in ports because I was running a 260 series driver earlier.
>
> Last night I tried to get a proper dump working and even was forcing dumps
> via the sysctl for testing dump functionality but I could not get it to
> successfully dump to my swap device. After that round of troubleshooting I
> was unable to recreate the panics I was having. I'm not sure where to go
>  from here because previously it was a guaranteed panic every time I viewed
> a flash video.
>
> If I can recreate this problem again I will gladly find a way to provide
> some more verbose information for you all.

And I just want to add here (we also talked on irc yesterday) that
another radeon user also saw a panic and he said his was somewhere
within the linuxolator code, so it looks like nvidia is actually
innocent. :)  (Or at least if that panic was due to the same
issue...)

 And as not everyone gets it, and those that do also only `sometimes'
I think we really can only wait until someone affected manages to
get a crashdump and backtrace, or at the very least a screenshot
of the simpleminded KDB_TRACE-type backtrace that's now enabled
in GENERIC on 8.2 and which should show up with the console panic
message if one manages to get to a console before the panic happens.
(Maybe if running X by trying something like

	sleep 10; firefox <flashvideo link>

and hitting ctrl-alt-f1 before firefox starts?)

 Good luck!
	Juergen