[WIP] wine/i386 on FreeBSD/amd64 (take 3)

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 14:01:50 UTC 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010 21:29:06 Rusty Nejdl wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:38:09 +0200, David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 January 2010 17:53:53 Rusty Nejdl wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm getting this fun message on compile:
> >>
> >> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> >>
> >> {standard input}:83: Error: no such instruction: `cmpxchg16b (%rdi)'
> >>
> >> I'm running an Intel core i7 processor so that instruction should most
> >> definitely be available.  I get that with or without CPUTYPE=nocono in
> >> /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > Are you trying to run this in a chroot from an amd64 system?  If so make
> > sure
> > you do:
> > # env UNAME_m=i386 UNAME_p=i386 MACHINE=i386 ${CMD}
> >
> > Does this help?
>
> David,
>
> I didn't try it in a chroot... wasn't clear from your updates that that
> was needed.  I am able to build wine in a chroot already using the
> instructions on the wiki.  Is your command line sufficient to build it
> outside of a chroot or is this required to be built in a chroot?  What
> exactly does your patch give us beyond what the instructions in the wiki
> does?  I thought this was to build a 64 bit wine?

This port needs to be build in an i386 environment.  This is just nice
packaging for the instructions in the wiki.  It also reduces the disk overhead
as once the port it compiled it does not need the chroot anymore (although you
will need to copy across the package and install it in the 'native'
environment).

This in no ways adds support for 64bit wine, just 32bit wine to be a 1st class
package in FreeBSD amd64.

Apologies for the confusion.

Regards