NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Apr 28 05:55:47 UTC 2010

> On 04/26/10 22:14, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> >> Ok thanks. It would be funny if you can no longer successfully pxeboot
> >> either :D
> >
> > it's virtualbox that was no longer running ok :-(, so after spending
> > time compiling qt4, I managed to compile vbox so now I have:
> > 	3.1.6_OSEr59338
>
> I just updated my ports tree and I'm now running virtualbox-ose-3.1.6_3.
> My problems persist.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm running vanilla pxeboot, my etherboot rom is not mine, I just compiled it
> > under linux (under freebsd it was imposible to compile).
> > Since the server is diskless, but has a few nics, I'm using a spare one for
> > vbox.
> >
> > BTW, the 'sometime works' is now 'sometimes failes'! before, after the first
> > reboot,
> > the kernel would panic, the next reboot would hang. Now, reboot mostly
> > succeeds :-)
> >
> > attaching a console boot,
> > HTH,
> > 	danny
>
> You're definitely doing something different with your pxeboot compared
> to me. Take a look at the following screenshot of my vbox trying to
> pxeboot and compare to yours:
>
> http://loshell.room52.net/~lstewart/brokenvboxpxe.png
> vs
> ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/v1.jpeg
>
> A lot of the text after the "Starting the BTX loader" line is different
> in my case to yours.
>
> The pxeboot I'm currently using is from today's 8-STABLE, which I built
> by doing a "make buildworld buildkernel" and then copying the
> /usr/obj/.../sys/boot/i386/pxeldr/pxeboot binary to my tftp root dir.
>
> Questions:
>
> - What version of FreeBSD and arch (i386 or amd64) are you running on
> the underlying vbox host?
	FreeBSD sf-01 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #35 r2087: Fri Apr 16 09:53:12
IDT 2010 amd64
	CPU: Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2218 (2613.41-MHz K8-class CPU)

> - Can you please check your /etc/make.conf and /etc/src.conf for any
> changes that might affect how the pxeboot binary gets built on your
> build machine?
the only {ir}relevant stuff:
	BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED?=115200

> - Can you please put your pxeboot binary somewhere for me to download
> and try?
done:
	ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/pxeboot-8.0
actually I lied, it's not too vanilla, it has some changes I made and forgot
about them :-)

> Cheers,
> Lawrence

hth,