NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 28 02:11:07 UTC 2010

On 04/26/10 22:14, Daniel Braniss wrote:
>> Ok thanks. It would be funny if you can no longer successfully pxeboot
>> either :D
>
> it's virtualbox that was no longer running ok :-(, so after spending
> time compiling qt4, I managed to compile vbox so now I have:
> 	3.1.6_OSEr59338

I just updated my ports tree and I'm now running virtualbox-ose-3.1.6_3.
My problems persist.

[snip]

> I'm running vanilla pxeboot, my etherboot rom is not mine, I just compiled it
> under linux (under freebsd it was imposible to compile).
> Since the server is diskless, but has a few nics, I'm using a spare one for
> vbox.
>
> BTW, the 'sometime works' is now 'sometimes failes'! before, after the first
> reboot,
> the kernel would panic, the next reboot would hang. Now, reboot mostly
> succeeds :-)
>
> attaching a console boot,
> HTH,
> 	danny

You're definitely doing something different with your pxeboot compared
to me. Take a look at the following screenshot of my vbox trying to
pxeboot and compare to yours:

http://loshell.room52.net/~lstewart/brokenvboxpxe.png
vs
ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/v1.jpeg

A lot of the text after the "Starting the BTX loader" line is different
in my case to yours.

The pxeboot I'm currently using is from today's 8-STABLE, which I built
by doing a "make buildworld buildkernel" and then copying the
/usr/obj/.../sys/boot/i386/pxeldr/pxeboot binary to my tftp root dir.

Questions:

- What version of FreeBSD and arch (i386 or amd64) are you running on
the underlying vbox host?

- Can you please check your /etc/make.conf and /etc/src.conf for any
changes that might affect how the pxeboot binary gets built on your
build machine?

- Can you please put your pxeboot binary somewhere for me to download
and try?

Cheers,
Lawrence