NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot(was "Re: Vbox/PXE booting works (fwd)")

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Mon Apr 26 12:14:52 UTC 2010

> Ok thanks. It would be funny if you can no longer successfully pxeboot
> either :D

it's virtualbox that was no longer running ok :-(, so after spending
time compiling qt4, I managed to compile vbox so now I have:
	3.1.6_OSEr59338

> > should be at least:
> > 	-maproot=root
> > and does not harm:
> > 	-alldirs
>
> exports look good:
>
> lstewart at lawrence1> cat /etc/exports
> /home/lstewart/devel/pxebase -maproot=root -alldirs
>
> lstewart at lawrence1> ls /home/lstewart/devel/pxebase
> 8_stable
>
> > also, check if you are nating, or bridging, can't remember what I used.
>
> I'm bridging.
>
> > and one last thing, vbox/ethernet does not behave nicely after reboot
> > and also make sure you choose PCnet-FAST II, the III does not work
>
> Definitely using PCnet-FAST II, though have tried III as well. Not sure
> what you mean by "vbox/ethernet does not behave nicely after reboot".
>
> The fact that I can PXE/NFS boot a physical machine and mount_nfs works
> in a vbox vm running the fixit shell really does point to a boot code
> related issue no? If yes, then there's only two pieces that could be
> going wrong: the etherboot code or FreeBSD's pxeboot. I'm using your
> etherboot rom, so I'm guessing that if it does work for you, then your
> pxeboot is special, or my virtual host settings are subtly different.

I'm running vanilla pxeboot, my etherboot rom is not mine, I just compiled it
under linux (under freebsd it was imposible to compile).
Since the server is diskless, but has a few nics, I'm using a spare one for
vbox.

BTW, the 'sometime works' is now 'sometimes failes'! before, after the first
reboot,
the kernel would panic, the next reboot would hang. Now, reboot mostly
succeeds :-)

attaching a console boot,
HTH,
	danny