NFS mount RPC error when loading kernel after PXE boot(was "Re: Vbox/PXE booting works (fwd)")

Lawrence Stewart lstewart at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 26 07:38:42 UTC 2010

On 04/26/10 05:37, Daniel Braniss wrote:

>>> i'll refrase question:
>>> 	can you pxe boot a diskless client via nfs?
>>>
>>> the 'above' just says that you can nfs access, which was not my question.
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. By "using a separate physical
>> machine", I meant that I can successfully PXE boot the machine on my LAN
>> which pulls the kernel over NFS and happily mounts root over NFS i.e.
>> answer to your question is yes. The second part of my testing was using
>> the mount_nfs command manually on the command line of a vbox vm which
>> was booted into the fixit cd's fixit shell.
>>
>> Everything points to my config being good and a weird loader related
>> issue. Assuming you are able to successfully pxe boot FreeBSD could I
>> ask you to please:
>>
>> - Tell me which version of FreeBSD your pxeboot sources are built from
>>
>> - Make your FreeBSD pxeboot binary available for me to download from
>> somewhere so I can try it in case it makes any difference
>>
>> Thanks for your continued input, I'm really at a loss.
> I'll try to send yu a working pxeboot, after I test it under vbox (haven't
> tried
> for some time), in the mean time make sure that your /etc/exports is realy ok

Ok thanks. It would be funny if you can no longer successfully pxeboot
either :D

> should be at least:
> 	-maproot=root
> and does not harm:
> 	-alldirs

exports look good:

lstewart at lawrence1> cat /etc/exports
/home/lstewart/devel/pxebase -maproot=root -alldirs

lstewart at lawrence1> ls /home/lstewart/devel/pxebase
8_stable

> also, check if you are nating, or bridging, can't remember what I used.

I'm bridging.

> and one last thing, vbox/ethernet does not behave nicely after reboot
> and also make sure you choose PCnet-FAST II, the III does not work

Definitely using PCnet-FAST II, though have tried III as well. Not sure
what you mean by "vbox/ethernet does not behave nicely after reboot".

The fact that I can PXE/NFS boot a physical machine and mount_nfs works
in a vbox vm running the fixit shell really does point to a boot code
related issue no? If yes, then there's only two pieces that could be
going wrong: the etherboot code or FreeBSD's pxeboot. I'm using your
etherboot rom, so I'm guessing that if it does work for you, then your
pxeboot is special, or my virtual host settings are subtly different.

Cheers,
Lawrence