vbox driver

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Sun Jul 5 08:19:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 17:09:33 +0000 (UTC)
rondzierwa at comcast.net wrote:

> I have installed the VirtualBox port my FreeBSD 7.0 system. I had to csup ports and download and install the virtualbox port manually, but eventually everything built and installed.
>
> kldload has a problem with the vboxdrv module:
>
> phoenix# kldload vboxdrv
> kldload: can't load vboxdrv: No such file or directory
> phoenix# kldload vboxdrv.ko
> kldload: can't load vboxdrv.ko: No such file or directory
> phoenix# kldload /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko
> kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko: No such file or directory
> phoenix# kldload /boot/modules/vboxdrv
> kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxdrv: No such file or directory
>
> the file is there, and kldconfig is set up for the /boot/modules directory:
>
> phoenix# kldconfig -r
> /boot/kernel;/boot/modules
> phoenix# ls -l /boot/modules
> total 182
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 185300 Jul 4 12:57 vboxdrv.ko
>

> could it be that there is no vboxdrv.ko.symbols file? all the other modules
> are in the /boot/kernel directory, and they all have .symbols files.

This error message is confusing and doesn't necessarily really have
anything to do with vboxdrv.ko being present.  kldload(2) in the kernel
can return a number of errors, but they're all hidden behind the error
message "can't load..."

kldload(8) should probably use perror(3) so the user can see exactly
what the error returned from the kernel was.

Are your kernel and user-land in synch with the port?  I mean, are your
sources newer than what you have installed?  This can lead to problems.

---
Gary Jennejohn