vbox driver

rondzierwa at comcast.net rondzierwa at comcast.net
Sat Jul 4 17:22:49 UTC 2009

I have installed the VirtualBox port my FreeBSD 7.0 system. I had to csup ports and download and install the virtualbox port manually, but eventually everything built and installed.

kldload has a problem with the vboxdrv module:

phoenix# kldload vboxdrv
kldload: can't load vboxdrv: No such file or directory
phoenix# kldload vboxdrv.ko
kldload: can't load vboxdrv.ko: No such file or directory
phoenix# kldload /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko
kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko: No such file or directory
phoenix# kldload /boot/modules/vboxdrv
kldload: can't load /boot/modules/vboxdrv: No such file or directory

the file is there, and kldconfig is set up for the /boot/modules directory:

phoenix# kldconfig -r
/boot/kernel;/boot/modules
phoenix# ls -l /boot/modules
total 182
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 185300 Jul 4 12:57 vboxdrv.ko

could it be that there is no vboxdrv.ko.symbols file? all the other modules
are in the /boot/kernel directory, and they all have .symbols files.

thanks,
ron.