Kind of solved..

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Oct 28 21:03:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:48:41 -0500 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:31:52 -0500, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I have updated RELENG_7 recently, and switched to 2.6.26 and f8 at
> > the  same time. I am not sure which I am supposed to blame on. :-)
> > Anyway,  now my linux-opera M2 (mail) client reports time
> > incorrect. So I have  checked with date(1) and it does indeed report
> > different.
> >
> > ----------------------------------
> > # /bin/date
> > Mon Oct 20 22:28:35 CDT 2008
> > # /compat/linux/bin/date
> > Tue Oct 21 03:28:38 UTC 2008
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > I do not remember for have to configure the date correct for Linux
> > 2.4  stuff before I update RELENG_7 and switched to newer 2.6.16
> > stuff. I am  wondering if I have to do that now for configure time
> > or it's not normal?

> I have downloaded tzdata-2008h-1.fc8.noarch.rpm and extracted it. Then
> copy it in /compat/linux/etc/localtime and now it works correct. Only
> a  few seconds difference, but does not matter to me.

Yep. Current FreeBSD /etc/localtime file has:
-----
moosa% hd -n 6 /etc/localtime.current
00000000  54 5a 69 66 00 00                                 |TZif..|
00000006
-----

The fifth byte is "0". While Fedora expects:
-----
moosa% hd -n 6 /etc/localtime.newversion
00000000  54 5a 69 66 32 00                                 |TZif2.|
00000006
-----

The fifth byte is "2".

> ----------------------------------
> # /bin/date
> Tue Oct 21 14:33:55 CDT 2008
> # /compat/linux/bin/date
> Tue Oct 21 19:33:59 UTC 2008
> # cp usr/share/zoneinfo/right/America/Cancun /compat/linux/etc/localtime
> # /compat/linux/bin/date
> Tue Oct 21 14:33:43 CDT 2008
> ----------------------------------

> Maybe edwin's plan of update tzcode to 2008e might help with this
> issue? I  am hoping that his update tzcode can help linux_base-f8 to
> have correct  time without have to use tzdata-2008h-1.fc8.noarch.rpm.

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2008-September/008599.html
> (patches included)

> BTW: Add CC'ing to edwin to see if he thinks update tzcode can helps
> with  this issue.

It definitely does: I patched my 8-amd64-current with edwin's patches,
recompiled, reinstalled and copied a new zonefile to /etc/localtime:
-----
moosa% LANG=C date; /compat/linux/bin/date
Tue Oct 28 22:38:24 MSK 2008
Tue Oct 28 22:38:24 MSK 2008
-----

> > BTW: Please add me in CC, thanks!