Is a new port acceptable (PR/126872)

Tue Nov 11 01:31:01 PST 2008

Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> (from Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:49:17 +0300):

> Hello All,
>

> there is a PR to create a new linux port:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/126872
>
> This port seems to be an infrastructure linux port. Usually we create
> new infrastructure linux ports when they are needed to run some other
> linux application. This port is not required by any. Hence I'm not
> sure if this port is needed.
>
> Should this port be committed? What do you think? Thanks!

What about asking the submitter how this is supposed to be used?

So far I haven't come up with a situation where it makes sense to
commit it. If it is used in a chroot, then I would assume one of the
gentoo linux base ports, and then the gentoo infrastructure should be
used to install it. If it is used as a stand-alone scripting language,
the native one should work too. If it is used from some linux binary
(linking to tcl libs), it would be interesting to know which binaries
are involved, and if there will be a port for them or not (if it is
some popular commercial package, there may be no port available soon,
but it would make sense to have the linux-tcl port in the tree).

A beginning is the time for taking the
most delicate care that balances are correct.
		-- Princess Irulan, "Manual of Maud'Dib"