Is a new port acceptable (PR/126872)

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Nov 11 01:41:20 PST 2008

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> writes:
> Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> (from Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:49:17 +0300):
>
>> Hello All,
>>

>> there is a PR to create a new linux port:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/126872
>>
>> This port seems to be an infrastructure linux port. Usually we create
>> new infrastructure linux ports when they are needed to run some other
>> linux application. This port is not required by any. Hence I'm not
>> sure if this port is needed.
>>
>> Should this port be committed? What do you think? Thanks!
>
> What about asking the submitter how this is supposed to be used?

Yep, that was my intention to do after reading some feedback here. ;-)

> So far I haven't come up with a situation where it makes sense to
> commit it. If it is used in a chroot, then I would assume one of the
> gentoo linux base ports, and then the gentoo infrastructure should be
> used to install it. If it is used as a stand-alone scripting language,
> the native one should work too. If it is used from some linux binary
> (linking to tcl libs), it would be interesting to know which binaries
> are involved, and if there will be a port for them or not (if it is
> some popular commercial package, there may be no port available soon,
> but it would make sense to have the linux-tcl port in the tree).

Well, this is just what I think.
Thanks!

OK, CCing the submitter of the PR.
Stas, can you please elaborate on how are you planning to use this port?

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve