Request inspired by ports/117068

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 24 12:17:53 PST 2007

Quoting Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at freebsd.org> (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:34:12 -0500):

> Is it feasible to integrate the change as requested by
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/117068 into
> emulators/linux_base-fc4?
>
> I have reviewed the Makefile, but alas, the magic of it eludes me, otherwise I
> would have a suggestion for a PR.

The linux_base doesn't create this directory. The linuxulator falls
through to the FreeBSd /dev if it doesn't see the /compat/linux/dev. As
you can read in the messages which are referenced there, some programs
have problems with an existing /dev, some have a problem without. How
do we decide which program to "fuck-up"? Currently I would suggest to
print a message in citrix_ica which explains this issue. Or test if
some popular ports (in the thread there was skype referenced as one of
the programs which does not work well when creating the LINUXBASE/dev)
work now when the directory exists.

Better ideas to get it working by default for all are welcome.

      ...and that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.