Bounty and timeline on vmware 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 6 05:39:54 UTC 2007

On 04/05/07 19:07, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Eric Anderson writes:
> | PXE boot support is essential for a lot of people doing lots of kernel
> | development, either in FreeBSD or Linux.  Of course you don't have to
> | have that, but I've found it to be incredibly helpful.  QEMU actually
> | has etherboot support, which supports pxe booting, but the FreeBSD BTX
> | goo is slightly unhappy with that, and causes it not to work.  I don't
> | know anything about BTX or assembly, so I can't help there.
>
> You can build Etherboot or use rom-a-matic (assuming they haven't broken
> FreeBSD support in the version you try).  The FreeBSD port version should
> work.  The caveat is that you need to compile in the hints file and
> you can't load in kernel module at boot.  Etherboot should be able to
> load and boot the /boot/kernel/kernel directly.  Etherboot has support
> for passing in some kernel environment settings.
>
> Doug A.

Yes, currently that is what I'm doing (slurping the whole kernel across
the network via etherboot, and wedging in the right bits via DHCP for
certain boot options).  It's not very convenient, and is fairly
limiting, unless you like hacking at the dhcpd.conf file a lot.

Anyway, the BTX changes seem like a good candidate for the projects page..

Eric