Bounty and timeline on vmware 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Fri Apr 6 00:36:01 UTC 2007

Eric Anderson writes:
| PXE boot support is essential for a lot of people doing lots of kernel
| development, either in FreeBSD or Linux.  Of course you don't have to
| have that, but I've found it to be incredibly helpful.  QEMU actually
| has etherboot support, which supports pxe booting, but the FreeBSD BTX
| goo is slightly unhappy with that, and causes it not to work.  I don't
| know anything about BTX or assembly, so I can't help there.

You can build Etherboot or use rom-a-matic (assuming they haven't broken
FreeBSD support in the version you try).  The FreeBSD port version should
work.  The caveat is that you need to compile in the hints file and
you can't load in kernel module at boot.  Etherboot should be able to
load and boot the /boot/kernel/kernel directly.  Etherboot has support
for passing in some kernel environment settings.

Doug A.