Bounty and timeline on vmware 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Wed Apr 4 19:50:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 01:44:01PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Since I haven't played too much with rpms/additional non-ports stuff in
> the emulation area on FreeBSD, I have a (maybe simple) question:
>
> How do I get these other libraries installed (look for 'not found')?
>
> $ ldd ./vmware
> ./vmware:

<snip>

>         libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found

This looks like a compatibility library, similar to
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libsigc-2.0.so.0, would /etc/libmap.conf work?

>         libglibmm-2.4.so.1 => not found
>         libglibmm_generate_extra_defs-2.4.so.1 => not found
>         libatkmm-1.6.so.1 => not found
>         libpangomm-1.4.so.1 => not found
>         libgdkmm-2.4.so.1 => not found
>         libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 => not found
>         libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1 => not found
>         libsexymm.so.1 => not found

I suspect most of these come from their GNOME C++ counterparts, such as
glibmm, gtkmm, gnomemm, libgnomecanvasmm, libsexymm, et al.  Not sure if
this would work but you could try installing the freebsd ports for these
and adding some /etc/libmap.conf entries??

>         libart_lgpl_2.so.2 => not found
>         libxml2.so.2 => not found
>         libglade-2.0.so.0 => not found
>         libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 => not found
>         librsvg-2.so.2 => not found
>         libview.so.2 => not found
>         libsexy.so.1 => not found

The rest of these are normal GNOMEisms, again you could try the freebsd
ports and /etc/libmap.conf.  If that doesn't work, I thought you could just
get the RPMs for these ports and install them using archivers/rpm ?  If
you're working to build the port, take a look at
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-rpm.mk and the linux_base port for how they use rpm
to install into /usr/compat/linux instead of /.

-- Rick C. Petty