[RFC] Port for nspluginwrapper

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 1 03:36:57 UTC 2007

On 03/31/07 17:44, Dave Grochowski wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>> On 03/30/07 21:01, Dave Grochowski wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I wrote a port for nspluginwrapper, which you can find at:
>>>
>>> http://elvis.rowan.edu/~grocho98/nspluginwrapper.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> For those who do not know what it is, you can find the homepage at:
>>>
>>> http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/
>>>
>>> Basically, it allows you to run Linux/i386 browser plugins on the
>>> native browsers of other architectures and operating systems. To use
>>> it, simply install the appropriate plugins you would like from ports
>>> (I tried it with www/linux-flashplugin9, but others should work just
>>> as well) and then install nspluginwrapper. As a regular user, run
>>> "nspluginwrapper -v -a -i" to automagically find the plugins on you
>>> system and enable them for use in Firefox. Now, the plugins should
>>> work in your browser. I tried it with Flash 9 and both the graphics
>>> and sound worked. Unfortunately, Flash 9 is a bit buggy for me and
>>> crashed frequently, but I had the same issue when using the plugin
>>> with www/linux-firefox as well.
>>>
>>> I think the port is pretty complete, but I have only tried it on
>>> FreeBSD/i386 6-STABLE and FreeBSD/i386 7-CURRENT. It should work on
>>> amd64, but I don't have a machine to test it on. If the port is
>>> acceptable, I would not mind maintaining it, except for the fact that
>>> I obviously do not have a commit bit (though that probably is not a
>>> huge issue).
>>>
>>> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>> Installs ok, but didn't seem to find any plugins, even with the
>> linux-flash9 installed.  If I try to point it at the flash plugin
>> directly, it says something like: "not a valid nspluginwrapper plugin"
>>

>> Eric
>>
> Try running "nspluginwrapper -v -a -i". I have a typo in the
> pkg-message. I'll reupload it later tonight.

Oh.  Yes, that makes it work better.  Thanks!

One thing to mention - it creates core dumps each time I access flash
media.  I've got flash9 installed, and most flash play until the end,
then core dump (segfault sig 11).   A few core dump in the middle.  I
have a core dump, but have not attempted to compile the port with
debugging installed yet.  npviewer.bin seems to be the core file creator.

Eric