HEADS-UP: new dummy syscalls for linuxolator -> new console ?messages

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jun 14 12:45:55 UTC 2006

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
 > Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > I doubt anyone will see any messages unless he/she sets
 > > compat.linux.osrelease
 > > to something higher then 2.6.16
 >
 > Which is not recommended except you don't mind running into bugs and
 > getting coredumps from some programs.

That's interesting to know.  Is that documented somewhere?
I always set the sysctls like this (e.g. on FreeBSD 6.1):

compat.linux.osrelease: 6.1
compat.linux.osname: FreeBSD

(I have an rc.d script which uses the output from uname -rs
to set those two sysctls accordingly.)

So far, I have never encountered any problems.  I'm doing
that because I use the Linux binary of Opera, and I prefer
the "User-Agent" header to say FreeBSD instead of Linux,
so it will be counted correctly for sites that collect
statistics about the OS of their visitors.

Should I expect to run into problems with that in the
future?  If so, I think a warning should be added to the
linux(4) manpage.

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel