HEADS-UP: new dummy syscalls for linuxolator -> new console ?messages

Thu Jun 15 07:52:59 UTC 2006

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> (from Wed, 14 Jun 2006
14:45:45 +0200 (CEST)):

> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
>  > Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I doubt anyone will see any messages unless he/she sets
>  > > compat.linux.osrelease
>  > > to something higher then 2.6.16
>  >
>  > Which is not recommended except you don't mind running into bugs and
>  > getting coredumps from some programs.
>
> That's interesting to know.  Is that documented somewhere?
> I always set the sysctls like this (e.g. on FreeBSD 6.1):
>
> compat.linux.osrelease: 6.1
> compat.linux.osname: FreeBSD
>
> (I have an rc.d script which uses the output from uname -rs
> to set those two sysctls accordingly.)
>
> So far, I have never encountered any problems.  I'm doing

The linux base behaves differently based upon at least the osrelease.
It will use other syscalls when using 2.6.x than with 2.4.x. Fedora
Core 5 fails to work completely with the current value of osrelease. I
haven't tested yet, if the current default linux base port behaves
differently or or not.

> that because I use the Linux binary of Opera, and I prefer
> the "User-Agent" header to say FreeBSD instead of Linux,
> so it will be counted correctly for sites that collect
> statistics about the OS of their visitors.
>
> Should I expect to run into problems with that in the
> future?  If so, I think a warning should be added to the

Yes.

> linux(4) manpage.

I agree.

Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~150 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen