[patch] upgrading x11-toolkits/linux-gtk2 fails

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 30 00:24:44 PST 2005

Trevor Johnson <trevor at jpj.net> wrote:

[rh-9 isn't broken until I explain why "my way" of doing it is better]

We're talking about
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/Makefile?rev=1.99&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
and corresponding changes to x11/linux-XFree86-libs

The linux-X11 port changed a file which is owned by the linux_base port. This
resulted in:
- a complaint at deinstall time about a modified file (let's call something
like this a "cosmetic issue" which we try to fix in every port in $PORTSDIR
as long as it is possible, and since the linux_base-8 port uses a plist
which is generated at install time we still have such a "cosmetic issue"
with the cache file).
- a problem after a portupgrade. Previously you had to reinstall the
linux-X11 libs too or you had to add the path to the dynamic linker config
by hand (a major issue for some users, several asked for help either on the
lists or in a private mail). After my change the path to the X11 libs is
there in every case, even when no linux X11 libs are installed, but this
doesn't hurts, it's just a search path with no libs to find there. This
doesn't add a dependency to the X11 bits.

Regarding the "inadvertent": we have two orthogonal issues which touch the
same implementation. I wasn't aware of both issues at the same time, and
sometimes you need to fix something more than once to get every case right.

Feel free to ask further questions on emulation@, I will try to answer every
question.

Would you be please so kind to comment the recent plist issues with some
linux ports? Kris forwarded some error logs to emulation at . At least some of
those problems are related to the issue I describe in
http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/USE_LINUX2.txt (I've already finished the
bsd.port.mk part, but portmgr wants to do a complete build run on the
cluster after 5.4-Release for this change).

http://www.Leidinger.net/     Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org/        netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137
VUJA DE:
	The feeling that you've *never*, *ever* been in this situation before.