[patch] upgrading x11-toolkits/linux-gtk2 fails

Trevor Johnson trevor at jpj.net
Tue Mar 29 15:04:17 PST 2005

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Yes, linux_base-rh-9 isn't done yet. You have to talk to
> trevor at FreeBSD.org about it.

When I added it, the linux_base-rh-9 port was working properly with the
linux-XFree86-libs port (I tested it).  The way I had arranged things, the
linux_base ports did not run the Linux ldconfig, but the
linux-XFree86-libs port did, adding the path to the X11 libraries to the
search path.  Other ports which added Linux libraries would just run
ldconfig without changing the search path.

However, netchild recently changed the installation phase of
linux-XFree86-libs port, it no longer adds the X11 path.  Rather, he later
changed ports/emulators/linux_base-8/Makefile (rev. 1.99) so that it would
do that.  The need for the changes to linux-XFree86-libs has not been
explained to me by netchild, nor by portmgr who approved them.  In fact,
the timing of the linux_base-8 change suggests that the change to
linux-XFree86-libs was inadvertent.

The direction I had been going in with these ports was to move the X11
packages out of the linux_base ports, to cleanly support Linux emulation
for users who do not want X11 and to make it easier to update the Linux
X11 and base ports when bugs are found in one or the other.  The
impression I had was that netchild was in agreement with this.  If so, it
would be best to restore the previous behaviour of the linux-XFree86-libs
port.  If not, I think it would be better if he explained what his goal is
here, and the reasons for it, rather than just declaring that the
linux_base ports which remain in my care are now unfinished.
--
Trevor Johnson