ports/79655: linux_base-8 fails to install as non-root

Wed Apr 27 09:10:24 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR ports/79655; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net>
To: obrien at FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/79655: linux_base-8 fails to install as non-root
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:02:55 +0200

 David O'Brien <obrien at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

 > On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:19:02PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

 >> I like to incorporate at least John's patch into my linux-mega-patch.
 >
 > I'd really like to see:
 >
 >    -pre-install:
 >    +pre-su-install:
 >
 > committed right away.  I don't see a need to delay that fix.

 I have some other changes to linux_base-8 in my mega-patch too. Some of those
 don't need a delay too, but since the "bugs" are there very long, it doesn't
 hurt to wait until portmgr is able to test the complete patch. Since the
 above patch doesn't fix the complete issue (at least not on amd64), and
 since nobody stepped up to commit it yet, I offered to include the fix in my
 patchset.

 I don't mind if you (or someone else) commit the above patch now.

 >> If your proposal is orthogonal to David's work I can integrate it into
 >> my mega patch (which is supposed to get a test run on the ports build
 >> cluster) too.
 >
 > I'd really like to hold off on the rest of this patch until /usr/ports is
 > totally unfrozen and we can do some ARCH clean ups that is needed.  Then
 > we can have a good base to investigate issues from.

 Agreed.

 While discussing this: Since your ARCH cleanup touches alot of ports and is a
 candidate for testing on the cluster, shouldn't we merge our patches and just
 let portmgr test the entire patchset? This may reduce the amount of conflict
 resolution work needed in case one patch hits the tree while the other is
 between two test runs.

 I will sync my patchset at the weekend (friday in the evening or
 saturday/sunday in the morning). Feel free to send a corresponding diff for
 integration to me.

 Knowledge is power.
 		-- Francis Bacon