Looking for hardware advice

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 28 17:28:48 UTC 2012

On Sep 28, 2012, at 11:06 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Warner Losh wrote:
>> The Atmel processors look good for this sort of thing.  I've recently
>> found either the Glomation SBC-9G20u or the Pico SAM9g45 to be good
>> and not too expensive (the former is $55 and the latter is $70, at
>> least shipping to the US).  Although come to think of it the former
>> runs on 5V.
>
> Thanks for the pointers.  They're a little larger than I
> envisioned, but it should work if I don't find any better
> options.

The 9g20u is really small only 2.5" x 2.5".  It supports USB for sure, and GPIO I think (need to double check: the drivers are there don't know if they are wired to userland).  I have the larger 9g20 that's 3.75x3.5 inches. It is USB 1 speeds through. The g45 has USB2 speed ports.

If you don't need ethernet, there's a number of systems based on the AT91SAM9RL, but I have no air miles on them since they don't have ethernet.

> Does FreeBSD support both of those boards out of the box,
> including USB host ports and the GPIO pins?

I believe so on the g20.  Less sure what the state is on the g45 since I just got mine recently.

Warner