Stripping down embedded kernel -- MII PHY & ATA sub-drivers

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 11 21:13:10 UTC 2012

Hi,

2012/1/11 Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org>:
> Hello, Freebsd-embedded.
>
>  Is it possible to build kernel with only needed MII and ATA (legacy
> ATA) drivers? For example, my Sokeris net5501 has only one MII PHY (for
> vrX, Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface) and only one ATA controller
> (AMD CS5536 UDMA100 controller). So it doesn't need all these
> sub-drivers, and it looks like a lot of objects (several megabytes).

It _should_ only be including the phy's you require, right? (eg, if
you only include drivers as modules, and "miibus", it shouldn't link
in any files.)

In terms of ATA controller though - that's a good question. I haven't
yet looked at breaking out the ATA controller code into chipset stuff.
Maybe that's a good mini project for you :)

Adrian