Stripping down embedded kernel -- MII PHY & ATA sub-drivers

Aleksandr Rybalko ray at ddteam.net
Wed Jan 11 22:03:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:13:09 -0800
Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2012/1/11 Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org>:
> > Hello, Freebsd-embedded.
> >
> >  Is it possible to build kernel with only needed MII and ATA (legacy
> > ATA) drivers? For example, my Sokeris net5501 has only one MII PHY
> > (for vrX, Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface) and only one ATA
> > controller (AMD CS5536 UDMA100 controller). So it doesn't need all
> > these sub-drivers, and it looks like a lot of objects (several
> > megabytes).
>
> It _should_ only be including the phy's you require, right? (eg, if
> you only include drivers as modules, and "miibus", it shouldn't link
> in any files.)
>
> In terms of ATA controller though - that's a good question. I haven't
> yet looked at breaking out the ATA controller code into chipset stuff.
> Maybe that's a good mini project for you :)

Hi embeddeders! :)

All that good info located in sys/conf/files
PHY's defined as:
phydrrv.c	miibus | phydrv

so if you need only one phy, enable
device	mii # instead of miibus
device	phydrv

same for ata/ahci (I don't remember exact, just look into that file)

also some interesting info for such case may by located in
sys/conf/files.${target_arch}

> Adrian

WBW
--