system locks up with vr driver on alix board

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:06:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 06:39:51PM -0700, Ask Bj??rn Hansen wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 17:29, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
>
> Hi -- thank you for asking.   It's frustrating to have such an obscure and unlikely problem and I apologies for taking your time with it!
>
> > Could you show me full dmesg and ifconfig output?
>
> Included below from a happy system.
>
> I setup some scripts to monitor those things every second and print out diffs on the console and will post again next time it hangs/crashes/whatever is happening with any data.
>
> > It would also be interesting to know whether vr(4) spewed some logs.
>
> Where would they have gone?   I didn't see anything in messages (via syslog) or dmesg earlier, for what it's worth.

I thought vr(4) have showed some abnormal messages and it would
have been logged via syslog. Initially I suspected link flips and
TX/RX MAC restart failure triggered by the flips but it seems you
don't see this kind of issue.

> > How many PPS or interrupts do you see from vr interface under high
> > network load?
>
> Honestly I'm not sure.  I only know how to see the interrupt busy percentage from top …    Is there a cheap way to get those numbers?    If so then I'll log them every second or two and see if it catches anything.

Apart from systat or vmstat, you could get rough PPS with
"netstat -ndI vr0 -w 1"

>   - ask
>
> gw-b.dev# ifconfig -a

[...]

It seems vlan3 is not configured(i.e. just cloned). Apart from that
all looks normal.