Problem booting nanoBSD 7.2-p4 on Alix

Sven Hazejager sven at hazejager.nl
Wed Nov 11 08:15:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 21:00, Sven Hazejager <sven at hazejager.nl> wrote:
> I'm having some challenging issues booting nanoBSD 7.2-p4 on CF on an
> Alix serial-only system. Symptom: I'm seeing boot0sio fine, I can get
> into the loader etc. boot after typing "boot" or letting it timeout, I
> see "Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]..." and I get one "/" character on
> the next line but then everything stops.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

In an attempt to minimize FreeBSD for nanoBSD I had WITHOUT_FORTH=true
in my /etc/src.conf. That apparently breaks the passing of boot flags
to the kernel, which causes the kernel to use the VGA output even
though boot.config has "-h" and console=comconsole in the loader.

On the ALIX, that resulted in a "silent" kernel because it has no VGA.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Sven