storage selection for embedded devices

Philip Mullis philip.mullis at syx.ca
Tue Oct 14 16:29:54 UTC 2008

I was wondering if anyone has extended experience in this area with
embedded devices.

I have a fixed embedded image which runs happily out of a 1Gig compact
flash card.

However I have some applications that I want to install to my device
that will perform writes alot to the cf.

I'm worried about reliability and degradation of the cf, so to get
around this I'm looking at using an external usb hard drive or memory
stick (I have 2 usb ports on my embedded devices, its a pcengines alix2c3)

Is this a methodology most people use? or is simply buying a larger
compact flash card the recommended approach.

Ive read the sandisk wear leveling white paper, yet I also hear many
people such as professional photographers swearing by the write once
rule with cf cards. This leaves me to believe they are misinformed on
the technology or the white paper is wrong.

If someone could provide further information or recommendations that
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Philip Mullis