Creation of a new list for Embedded....

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 21 15:01:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:

> At Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:10:44 -0600 (MDT),
> Warren Block wrote:
>> So will freebsd-small go away?  Both lists share the description of
>> "Dedicated and embedded systems based on FreeBSD".
>
> When I initially talked to people about this the thought was that the list
> would be moved, but that was considered too intrusive, and the idea was
> dropped.
>
> For my own part I am now using exclusively embedded, and will drop my small
> membership in a week or so.  If people "vote with their feet" and the
> traffic on small drops to 0 then we can make some choices about it, but that
> is not important right now.

I, for one, would still prefer to see the existing subscriptions move over
:-).  I often subscribe to lists and then poll the mailbox every now and then
to see if there are topics of interest.  Little annoys me more than coming
back from a vacation and discovering that I have, in effect, been dropped from
the mailing list becaue the subscriber base hasn't been moved to a replacement
list.  This happened to me recently on the Linux security modules mailing list
-- they also offer no archive of the messages since the move, so I can't
easily find out what they talked about over the last two months :-(.  If we
believe embedded@ is really replacing small@, my feeling is we should add all
current subscribers to the new list, alias the old list to the new list, and
remove subscribers + disable subscriptions to the old list.  The old small@
archives will remain around, and pointed to for the purposes of access to old
archives, but I think having two lists is confusing.  Or, at least, I'm
confused. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge