Creation of a new list for Embedded....

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 20 05:20:59 UTC 2006

At Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:10:44 -0600 (MDT),
Warren Block wrote:
> So will freebsd-small go away?  Both lists share the description of
> "Dedicated and embedded systems based on FreeBSD".

When I initially talked to people about this the thought was that the
list would be moved, but that was considered too intrusive, and the
idea was dropped.

For my own part I am now using exclusively embedded, and will drop my
small membership in a week or so.  If people "vote with their feet"
and the traffic on small drops to 0 then we can make some choices
about it, but that is not important right now.

> What list would be appropriate for discussion about using FreeBSD
> not as an embedded system, but as a host environment for embedded
> microcontrollers like PIC/AVR/ARM?  Is there crossover between the
> two groups?

I would say that those subjects are fit for this list.

The idea is a name change, and not a subject change.  This was the
least intrusive way to make a name change.

Best,
George