Eclipse 3.1_2 window problems

Mark Hobden markhobden at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:18:06 PDT 2005

On 9/26/05, Panagiotis Astithas <past at ebs.gr> wrote:
> The reason this patch was removed was to avoid treating FreeBSD
> differently than other Unix systems, at the suggestion of an IBM
> engineer. This is was he said:
>
> "I intend to apply the patches to the launcher and SWT, but I have one
> question. I've been worried about the use of "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0" vs
> "libgtk-x11-2.0.so" on *BSD vs Linux.  For shared libraries, the first
> number is the major version number, and an unversioned .so link is
> supposed to point at the current development version (it's what -l
> uses).  We can't dlopen the .so on every platform because doesn't always
> exist.  Under many Linux distributions, the .so symbolic link only
> exists in the -devel package. I have heard that the library version
> weirdness on FreeBSD is due to a libtool bug, and is fixed by an
> "ltverhack" script at some point, but I have not been able to verify this."
>
> In my tests I concluded that it was unnecessary and I received no
> it back is a satisfactory solution to this problem, and I don't expect
> any trouble from it, but I wonder whether there is some dlopen flag that
> should be used instead.

Hi Panagiotis,

Firstly I must thank you for all the work you did getting FreeBSD to
compile Eclipse, even with all the plugins I have installed and using
it every day I have never had Eclipse 3.1 lock up on me.  :-)

Sorry I missed your patch that must of been in the month or so before
I subscribed to the Eclipse list.

Now Eclipse was back to normal for me I thought I should have a look
at the new gnome/gtk versions and it looks like the actual gtk
libraries now seem to end in so.0 so when the gnome 2.12 gets imported
into the ports tree (after the FreeBSD 6 release) it should not cause
any problems to drop the patch again :-)

Thanks,

Mark