<application> appearance in HTML

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jun 24 16:38:10 UTC 2014

The current CSS makes <application> elements appear in bold text in
XHTML.  For example:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

This repeated use of bold makes for uncomfortable and fatiguing reading.

Allan and I have searched for less severe forms of highlighting.
Without resorting to color, there are not many options.  The best I've
seen so far is font-variant: small-caps;, but that is quickly annoying
also.

My suggestion at this point is to just remove the CSS entry for
applications.  The application names are names, and recognizably
distinct from other words on their own.

Unless there are complaints, I will plan to remove the .application
entry from docbook.css before the end of this week.