Handbook Section 25.2.3.3 Error

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jan 20 20:28:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014, Charlie wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> First, I want to say "hi," and that I am excited to be part of the FreeBSD
> community. I am not much of a developer, but I  have been wanting to help out
> with the project for a few months now, so I figured I could probably try
> helping with documentation.
>
> While upgrading a box to 10.0-RELEASE today, I happened to glance over the
> Handbook page on upgrading FreeBSD, and I believe there is a mistake in
> section 25.2.3.3, "Rebuilding Ports After a Major Version Upgrade."
>
> www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html
>
> The portmaster command listed is 'portmaster -f', but I believe it should be
> 'portmaster -af'.

Agreed, change committed.

> Once again, I look forward to helping with the project. I am pretty good at
> writing, but not so great at coding and software development, so if there are
> any small projects that I might be able to work on, I'd be interested in
> learning more.

Welcome!  As with all documentation, there is always room for
improvement.  For an in-depth look at how the FreeBSD documentation
works, we have the FDP Primer:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

There is a lot there, don't let it overwhelm you.  As far as projects,
there are numerous open problem reports in the doc category:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=docs

Another approach is to just to report errors you've found, like you did
above.  It's usually best to file those as problem reports in the bug
tracking system so they don't get lost:
http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

Problem reports with patches are particularly prized because they can
be quickly evaluated and committed.

If you have questions or comments, you can post here or ask on IRC
(#bsddocs on EFnet).

Thanks!