Man page for pkg in release 10.1

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Dec 27 22:09:09 UTC 2014

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014, Chris Van Steenlandt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> if I'm posting this in the wrong mailing list, please forward this.
>
> During a fresh install of 10.1, I wanted to consult the man page of pkg from
> the FreeBSD web site;
> There I was directed to pkg section 7 man page.

That is the "stub" version of pkg included with the operating system.
It only exists to fetch and install the real pkg.  This is described on
the pkg(7) ('man 7 pkg') man page.

> Within that man page a reference to pkg(8) was made where all the pkg
> commands should be described. The link, however, is dead.

Select "8 - Maintenance Commands" for the section, and
"FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE and Ports" for the version.  The "and Ports" is
the important part, because the real pkg does not exist in the base
system.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pkg&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+10.1-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

> Also when I type 'man pkg' from my fresh install, I get to see a
> different man page.

It should be the same one shown at the link above.