Updating translation workflow

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Aug 20 15:13:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Gabor Pali wrote:

> Hi Warren,
>
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> * Translators work too hard.  No automation, no assistance from the
>>   computer to see what needs to be translated
>
> I am not sure of this.  A few years ago we seem to have a consensus on
> an informal "API" that allows tracking untranslated changes [1].  This
> was the %SRCID% tag placed in the translated files.  Using this tag,
> one could generate nice stats about the work to do [2], and get the
> diffs to work with.  At least, that is what I did for a few years...

Interesting!

>> no reuse of previously-translated terms.
>
> I have maintained a vocabulary for the translation of commonly used
> expressions [3] in the past.  So I was consistent with myself at least
> :-P

Well, yes, but this appears to be manual and does not automatically
translate the same strings that are found in other documents.  That is
part of what the newer automated systems do.

> [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-doc/2008-June/018345.html
> [2] http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/checkupdate/fdp.nl.reminder.txt
> [3] https://wiki.freebsd.org/HungarianDocumentationProjectVocabulary

I did find a patch for itstool that seems to be what is needed to add
DTD support so entities are expanded.  I have not tested it yet.

https://gitorious.org/~gmcharlt/itstool/gmcharlts-itstool