handbook - [5.4.2 Configuring X11] - suggesting an improvement

daniele meslists at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 5 11:24:58 UTC 2010

> >/
> />/  I was reading the section 5.4.2 of the handbook. In the 2nd and 3rd Notes,
> />/  after the fdi file code, one reads
> />/
> />/  "You will have to reboot your machine to force *hald* to read this file."
> />/
> />/  I think this is not the most efficient solution to let hald read again the
> />/  file.
> />/
> />/  Restarting just the hal start script  wouldn't be enough ?
> /
> Not always:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=595146+0+archive/2009/freebsd-doc/20091101.freebsd-doc

Hi,

Thanks for answering. That seems a bit "strange". The specifically
reported "problems" in the end are a mouse not working after the restart
but the author did not specify the number of machines he made the test
on and if other problems occur. It would be interesting to know a bit
more about this (I mean if it happens frequently and if other problems
occur). I changed the keyboard layout 1-2 times but got no problems here
restarting the script.

daniele