handbook - [5.4.2 Configuring X11] - suggesting an improvement

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 5 18:39:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 11:58:08AM +0100, daniele wrote:

> > >/
> > />/  I was reading the section 5.4.2 of the handbook. In the 2nd and 3rd Notes,
> > />/  after the fdi file code, one reads
> > />/
> > />/  "You will have to reboot your machine to force *hald* to read this file."
> > />/
> > />/  I think this is not the most efficient solution to let hald read again the
> > />/  file.
> > />/
> > />/  Restarting just the hal start script  wouldn't be enough ?
> > /
> > Not always:
> >
> > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=595146+0+archive/2009/freebsd-doc/20091101.freebsd-doc
> >
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for answering. That seems a bit "strange". The specifically
> reported "problems" in the end are a mouse not working after the restart
> but the author did not specify the number of machines he made the test
> on and if other problems occur. It would be interesting to know a bit
> more about this (I mean if it happens frequently and if other problems
> occur). I changed the keyboard layout 1-2 times but got no problems here
> restarting the script.

I think the problem is not the number of machines tested but the fact it
just did not work for some users/hardware.  This is a problem since
people may think the issue is coming from their fdi script when it's
just the hald daemon unable to reread a file.  The proposed solution
works for everyone.

Maybe we can rewrite the part with a mention of rc.d HAL restart and
then with a note telling "if it does not work , you will have to reboot
your box... blahblah".

--
Marc