Backup Basics

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 16 21:54:48 UTC 2009

Murray Stokely wrote:
> A fair point, and in that case perhaps a short paragraph introducing
> the reader to the class of cloud based online backup systems as a
> viable alternative to tape backup solutions in 2009, rather than
> listing any specific services.

Right, I think if the handbook ventures outside of discussing the tools which
are built into FreeBSD, it should probably be limited to discussing the pros and
cons of various *types* of tools rather than discussing specific tools.  A few
months ago I wrote some text at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Backups which
was an attempt to give people a framework for deciding what they should look for
in a backup solution -- I don't know if it's useful, but if anyone wants to take
some or all of that text for the handbook, you can consider it public domain.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve