Cutting edge -> Upgrading (was: Re: Preface need update.)

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 18 04:22:17 UTC 2008

Hi Murray, Manolis,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:35:51 -0800
"Murray Stokely" <murray at stokely.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If these chapters are merged, I think we will have to rethink the "The
> > Cutting Edge" title. The title is by itself intimidating for the
> > beginning-intermediate user who is already convinced it is best for him
> > to use "RELEASE" until he is comfortable with the system. And using
> > freebsd-update is essential (and a rather easy task) at any user level.
> >
> > How about changing the chapter to something like "Updating and Upgrading
> > FreeBSD"?
> > The first sections could deal with security updates and minor / major
> > version upgrades using freebsd-update.
> > Later sections could deal with -STABLE and -CURRENT
> > It would probably need more than a few rewrites and reorganization though
>
> Yea I think this sounds good.  Tom, can you include a link to the HTML
> with your next diff -- I find it easier to review big reorganizations
> in the built html form rather than the diffs.
>
> If there is really just too much content for one chapter then maybe
> the updating and upgrading chapter could still be split into two
> adjacent chapters -- one for the basics of updrading between releases
> with mergemaster and such, and a second with more complicated source
> upgrades to -CURRENT.
>
>           - Murray

Apologies for this tardy reply, but I've recently come down
with some kind of a bug.  Anyway, this is what I have right now:

http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/doc/latest-handbook.diff

http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/doc/handbook/

The diff contains my Updating chapter placed above the current
cutting-edge content along with some alterations to make the
documentation flow a bit.  Surely another update or two will
be needed to perfect this version, but I think it looks pretty
decent as it is now.

This also contains some things I've been working on lately:

o Added a warning about loss of data in GEOM chapter, covers
  a PR about gmirror;

o Add a new section on syslog network monitoring to network-servers;

o Add the Audit chapter to preface.sgml and mark up DTrace with
  &dtrace.

The "additional" parts have already been reviewed by rene and
pgj.  An earlier version of the preface.sgml part was reviewed
by Murray already.

The handbook/ directory has a built version of the handbook
with that diff applied.  If there are no objections I'm
perfectly cool with:

Patching the preface, geom, and network-servers chapters;

Putting in a repo copy request for cutting-edge/chapter.sgml to
upgrading/chapter.sgml;

Commit follow up to note the repocopy;

Commit this version of cutting edge to upgrading/chapter.sgml;

Final commit to remove cutting-edge and updating chapters from
the build and the like.

I'm positive someone will come up with a better way of handling
this but I'm tired and a bit off.

--
Tom Rhodes