Preface need update.

Murray Stokely murray at stokely.org
Tue Dec 16 02:35:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:
> If these chapters are merged, I think we will have to rethink the "The
> Cutting Edge" title. The title is by itself intimidating for the
> beginning-intermediate user who is already convinced it is best for him
> to use "RELEASE" until he is comfortable with the system. And using
> freebsd-update is essential (and a rather easy task) at any user level.
>
> How about changing the chapter to something like "Updating and Upgrading
> FreeBSD"?
> The first sections could deal with security updates and minor / major
> version upgrades using freebsd-update.
> Later sections could deal with -STABLE and -CURRENT
> It would probably need more than a few rewrites and reorganization though

Yea I think this sounds good.  Tom, can you include a link to the HTML
with your next diff -- I find it easier to review big reorganizations
in the built html form rather than the diffs.

If there is really just too much content for one chapter then maybe
the updating and upgrading chapter could still be split into two
adjacent chapters -- one for the basics of updrading between releases
with mergemaster and such, and a second with more complicated source
upgrades to -CURRENT.

          - Murray