docs/129428: ntp.conf(5) is incorrect - you can only use IP address on restrict lines

Stephen Allen p0036343 at brookes.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 01:50:02 UTC 2008

>Number:         129428
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       ntp.conf(5) is incorrect - you can only use IP address on restrict lines
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
In the section "Access Control Commands --> restrict", it says:

"The address argument expressed in dotted-quad form is the address of a host or network.  Alternatively, the address argument can be a valid host DNS name."

I have found that the address argument MUST be an ip address only - it doesn't work with a valid host DNS name.  This corroborated by the official documentation at: http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions#Section_6.5.1.2.1. which says:

"You must use an IP address on the restrict line."
>How-To-Repeat:
In the restrict line, use host DNS name instead of IP address.
>Fix:
n/a