Non-English articles?

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 17 12:44:52 UTC 2007

Giorgos Keramidas escribió:
> A fellow Greek translator, Nikos Kokkalis, has submitted an article that
> describes how to configure FreeBSD for Greek support (both when working
> on the console, and when working in X11).
>
> This article is only in Greek now, but it's short enough that it would
> probably be ok to translate it to English too.
>
> Do you think it's ok to commit this article to el_GR.ISO8859-7 first, or
> should we post its English version for review here, and then after an
> English version is finalized we can commit it to el_GR.ISO8859-7 too?

Personally, I think that we can have non-English articles without a
corresponding English text, too.
There are areas, which are only useful for a specific country or for a
specific language. For example,
Spanish people have an own primer for Spanish translations, that
discusses the language-specific
requirements for translator volunteers. As those people can speak
Spanish, no need to have an
English version. I think that the same applies to this article. If one
wants to use the Greek language,
then one probably understands Greek, so no need to have an English
version here either. Actually,
I'm also working on a translation primer for the Hungarian project,
which I intend to commit to
hu_HU.ISO8859-2 when ready.

Cheers,

--