RFC: The end of the contributors article

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 15 12:33:08 UTC 2007

Joel Dahl <joel at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <1168765723.1100.13.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:

jo> Sön 2007-01-14 klockan 01:57 +0900 skrev Hiroki Sato:
jo> > Joel Dahl <joel at freebsd.org> wrote
jo> >   in <1168633900.1082.38.camel at jesus.automatvapen.se>:
jo> > jo> -  This information does not really belong in an article.
jo> >
jo> >  Could you elaborate this?  As mentioned in the previous mail, I think
jo> >  this information should be in an independent database file, not
jo> >  belong in either article or an HTML page in the www tree.
jo>
jo> Yes, I remember you suggesting this XX months ago, and I *really* like
jo> the concept of storing developer information (such as login id, pgpkey,
jo> current hats, commit bit type, location etc) in a database, but the
jo> truth is that I haven't seen any progress since then.  I consider my
jo> work to be the best solution in the meantime.

 Sorry for my laziness...  I think your work does not conflict with the
 idea, and updating the list is really great regardless of which tree
 is used.

 What I wanted to know is if you intend to restructure the list by
 removing ones in the articles and maintaining a copy in the www tree
 on a long term basis (from your post I thought you wanted to do so).
 I am (still) planning to work on restructuring the list by using a
 directory, so I just think I will need more discussion if the plan
 conflicts with your idea.  If your proposed patch is committed now,
 probably I will move the data part to a database in other than the
 www tree when my patch is ready---but I do not want to make you
 offended when I commit such a change.

 So, well, please go ahead if you do not mind it since updating the
 list is really important.  But if you have another plan such as
 maintaining the list in an HTML page only, please elaborate the plan
 in more detail.  Just I want to make sure.