RFC: putting our graphs onto the website

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 22 10:39:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 10:45:49PM +0200, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as you probably know, we started to maintain some nice graphs about the
> mentor-mentee relationships between the project and I added one more
> about the specific teams recently. If you haven't noticed these graphs,
> go and check them in src/share/misc.
>
> As we have this nice stuff now, I think it would be nice to make them
> available for the public. I could have just put it into
> people.freebsd.org to my place, but I think the official website is
> better for this, since it is rebuilt regularly and get more attention.
>
> I have a patch for building the graphs in www/en/gifs/Makefile, but it
> would need graphics/graphviz to be installed on www.FreeBSD.org
> (webmaster CC'd) and be added to textproc/docproj (doceng CC'd).
> The patch is here: http://gabor.t-hosting.hu/patches/graphs.diff
> And the rendered version is here:
> http://gabor.t-hosting.hu/data/organization.html

I'm not really happy with the fact we should add another dependency to
the textproc/docproj port.  graphics/graphviz has a lot of heavy
dependencies.  I'm not sure mirrors would be happy with these
requirements, don't forget that changing something to the build of the
www/ or doc/ sets has consequence outside of the FreeBSD.org network.
On another hand, there are already some equivalent systems to graphviz
in the current docproj port (I mean some "txt to graph" systems:
pstricks, groff, etc.), so why not using what is already available
instead of adding a new application?

Regarding the graphs, I can understand the importance of the project
organization graph, but for the mentor-mentee one I doubt a lot of
people will really care of it.
The organization graph can be static, we don't need to say who compose
the teams since it's already detailed elsewhere.

--
Marc