docs/86532: wpa_supplicant.conf man page should discuss WEP based setups.

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sat Sep 24 18:10:22 UTC 2005

>Number:         86532
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       wpa_supplicant.conf man page should discuss WEP based setups.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD kong.alerce.com 6.0-BETA5 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 #1: Fri Sep 23 17:37:01 PDT 2005 root at kong.alerce.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KONG i386

Sony Vaio laptop, 6,0-BETA5

	I just moved from 6.0BETA-1 to 6.0-BETA5 and finally switched from my old crufty
        setting of WEP keys and stuff in the ifconfig_ath0 line to a WPA and DHCLIENT based
        setup.

	I couldn't find any mention of how to configure wpa_supplicant for simple wep keys,
	although it's gone by on the mailing list a bunch of times.  Seems like it should
	be in the docs.

	Having it written down might head off a bunch of headaches and questions.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Set up a wep based wpa managed network as a first timer and try to find the
	instructions.

>Fix:

Someone w/ better info about wpa_supplicant should check out the text for
wep_key[0123], but here's a first cut at a patch.

*** wpa_supplicant.conf.5	2005/09/24 01:41:12	1.1
--- wpa_supplicant.conf.5	2005/09/24 02:03:05
***************
*** 396,399 ****
--- 396,403 ----
  By default these workarounds are enabled.
  String EAP conformance can be configured by setting this to 0.
+ .It Va wep_key0, wep_key1, wep_key2, wep_key3
+ The four WEP keys (quoted strings or hex digits).
+ .It Va wep_tx_keyidx
+ The index of the WEP key that should be used for transmitting.
  .El
  .Sh CERTIFICATES
***************
*** 494,497 ****
--- 498,516 ----
          ca_cert="/etc/cert/ca.pem"
          phase2="auth=MD5"
+ }
+ .Ed
+ .Pp
+ Shared WEP key connection (no WPA, no IEEE 802.1X)
+ .Bd -literal
+ ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
+ ctrl_interface_group=wheel
+ network={
+ 	ssid="static-wep-test"
+ 	key_mgmt=NONE