Make World Frequent Problems Section

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Jan 13 04:13:45 UTC 2004

Travis McArthur said:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working with FreeBSD for several years now, and have used make
> world often to update my system.  I used the handbook to do this, however,
> I still had several minor issues.  Originally, these problems took me a
> while to figure out, mostly because I had no idea how to fix them, but
> once one learns how, they are simple stupid problems such as an incorrect
> CMOS clock.  However, the handbook doesn't mention most of these issues,
> and if it does, it does so in a very short manor.
>
> I am interesting in possibly writting a sub-section for the make world
> section of the handbook detailing some common issues/errors that make
> world produces, which are also easily solvable.  I think this could also
> reduce some questions on the other mailinglists reguarding small errors
> such as "touch not found", etc.
>
> Wanted to check to see if anyone believes this would be useful or no
> before I begin writting, and if it would be useful, common problems that
> you have experienced.

I could see it being very useful if done correctly.  I think the "make
world" usage should be removed from the handbook, personally.  People who
are going to the handbook most likely will only break things badly with a
make world, versus someone who knows the difference between when to use a
make world and make buildworld.

Eric