docs/61628: Mistake in Handbook, section 8.6.4 passwd

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Feb 16 13:50:14 UTC 2004

The following reply was made to PR docs/61628; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
To: Ceri Davies <ceri at freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-doc at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/61628: Mistake in Handbook, section 8.6.4 passwd
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:26:04 -0700 (MST)

 On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Ceri Davies wrote:

 >  > Users must type in ther original password before changing their
 >  > password, to prevent an unauthorized person from changing their password
 >  > when the user is away from their console.
 >
 >  Losing the comma would result in a grammatically correct, though
 >  unwieldy, sentence.  The easiest way to deal with is to move "before
 >  changing their password," to the beginning of the sentence.

 Still unwieldy, though.  This may be a little better:

   To prevent accidental or unauthorized changes, the original password
   must be entered before a new password may be set.

 (And "may be set" looks wrong, but it's late and I can't come up with
 anything else except "assigned", which also looks wrong...)