Proposed addition to the mail section of the handbook

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Dec 2 16:00:31 UTC 2003

Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
>
>>Not offended.  All good points.
>>
>>While I can't argue your 4-line patch logic, where would
>>it go that it
>>would be discoverable information?  The advantage of my
>>patch is that
>>it creates a section that a user will be able to easily
>>find.  I also
>>suspect (although I could be wrong) that the section I
>>created may be
>>expanded to explain how to achieve the same goal using
>>sendmail, which
>>(to me) is a good idea, since sendmail comes with
>>FreeBSD.
>
> should this really be covered by the handbook? isn't
> the handbook a resource for freebsd specific topics?

I belive the handbook should have this section.  There are many
circumstances where a FreeBSD machine will need to do mail
in a "send-only" capacity.  Users should be able to find documentation
on how to make it work.

You're right, technically, this section should explain how to set
up sendmail to function in this capacity.  However, I believe that
sendmail is difficult to properly configure for this use, and
overkill anyway.

> explaining how to use xyz-MTA for forwarding mails to another ISP
> is not the task of the handbook, this is covered by xyz' docs.

I worry that this is a case of, "experienced FreeBSD user's can't
understand why documentation this simple is necessary."  I feel
that it is necessary.

Perhaps the handbook is not the correct place for this?  I'm open
to suggestions, but the handbook was the best place I could find.

I'm incorporating many of your other suggestions, and I'll post
updated files to my site shortly.

http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/handbook/

--
Bill Moran