Upgrading FreeBSD to use the NEW pf syntax.

Ermal Luçi eri at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 21 14:44:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org> wrote:

>   Mark,
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 03:43:17PM +0100, Mark Martinec wrote:
> M> For one thing, I'm desperately awaiting NAT64 support (the 'af-to'
> M> translation rule in newer pf (5.1?), committed on 2011-10).
>
> Backport this exact feature to FreeBSD and send patch.
>
> M> Other: packet normalization (scrub) has been reworked and simplified,
> M> and is now a rulset option. Considering that scrub is currently broken
> M> (9.1, see list of PF bugs in FreeBSD), along with several other
> M> bugs that need fixing, it seems the (scarce) manpower would better
> M> be spent in moving on, than keeping the already leaky (buggy) pf
> M> afloat.
>
> Yes, scrub improvements can be cherry picked and added to FreeBSD, too.
>
> The issues is you cannot without modifying rule config.

> But if you think that bulk import of new version would close all current
> bugs without opening new problems, then you are mistaking. Last bulk
> import introduced much more bugs than it closed. And this statement isn't
> a accusation towards the person who did the import. This is just a generic
> rule. If you take 100k lines of code that were developed for another
> operating system kernel and without thourough reviewing it just make it
> compile and link with another kernel, then you are about to miss many
> rough edges that will show up later, when the code would be utilized.
>
> Thus, cherry-picking is preferred over bulk imports.
>
> Well it depends on the amount of work.
Cherry-picking would be when tehre is reasonable similarities.
Also another argument to do this would be simplicity on locking as well as
i told you when you started the changes.

Though i am open to work together on this to merge the new syntax thorugh a
whole bulk merge rather than cherry-pick.

You already have 'broken' some functionality as if-bound in FreeBSD 10.x so
why not break syntax and see to introduce if
real value behind a converter as well.

> --
> Totus tuus, Glebius.

Ermal