FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 or 3?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 09:48:58 UTC 2011

On 28/09/2011 10:28, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I looked at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/
>
> and found a BETA3 but only for some platforms not including i386 and amd64, but that was yesterday.
>
> I looked later during the day and found the BETA3 for i386 and amd64.

Yup.  The stable/9 branch was created a few days ago in SVN, and
correspondingly the RELENG_9 cvs branch. It's taking a little while for
all that and various related changes to percolate through the system.

> Now the question is how to update without trashing the BETA2
> installation with all the applications build from ports.

BETA2 to BETA3 should not require reinstalling any ports.  All the pain
of updating ABI version numbers for 9.x has already happened, so
anything that ran under BETA2 should just work under BETA3.

> I don't want to rebuild everything from ports every time there is a
> new beta or release candidate; that would be a very inefficient use
> of time.

Yes.  That would be silly.  And a waste of time and energy.

> If I can't update with the installer, can I update from source?

This is FreeBSD.  Of course you can use the source.

> Would the best way be to download only the source (src.txz), then
>  rm -rf /usr/src/*
>  then extract the new source?
> Otherwise I don't know what to cvsup to, and I did read the FreeBSD Handbook.  I also read /usr/src/README and UPDATING.
>
> I don't want to update source to HEAD which might now be 10.0-CURRENT.

For cvsup / csup, you need to change your supfile to use the RELENG_9
tag.  Something like this:

*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr