FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 or 3?

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:37:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 9/28/11 5:28 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I looked at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/
>
> and found a BETA3 but only for some platforms not including i386 and amd64, but that was yesterday.
>
> I looked later during the day and found the BETA3 for i386 and amd64.

I've been (trying to) update the download URLs as the new images are
uploaded to prevent broken links, though -BETA3 is not officially
announced yet.  Sorry if this causes confusion, but the alternative
would be more confusion to why links are broken.

> Now the question is how to update without trashing the BETA2 installation with all the applications build from ports.
>
> I don't want to rebuild everything from ports every time there is a new beta or release candidate; that would be a very inefficient use of time.
>
> If I can't update with the installer, can I update from source?
>
> Would the best way be to download only the source (src.txz), then
>  rm -rf /usr/src/*
>  then extract the new source?
> Otherwise I don't know what to cvsup to, and I did read the FreeBSD Handbook.  I also read /usr/src/README and UPDATING.
>
> I don't want to update source to HEAD which might now be 10.0-CURRENT.

If you use svn for your source tree, you can use 'svn switch':

'svn switch svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src'

If you use c(v)sup, change the tag in your supfile.

Regards,

Glen

--
Glen Barber